Bussa Law

Main Menu

Xanax linked to a growing number of drug-related crimes in Minnesota

Recent headlines about University of Minnesota wrestlers being involved in the use and sale of benzodiazepines (like Xanax, Valium and Ativan), as well as this story of a Macalester College athlete facing criminal charges relating to his own use and sale of Xanax have led some to wonder if a new avenue of drug-related crimes is coming to our state. Minnesota has had problems with some drugs, namely methamphetamine and prescription opiates such as OxyContin and Percocet, for some time, but experts like Dr. Joseph Lee, director of the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation Youth Continuum, suggest that the use and sale of benzodiazepines has become a huge issue here in recent years.

Not only are benzodiazepine overdose deaths on the rise, but the role these drugs are playing in criminal activities is also increasing. "Benzos" like Xanax can cause intoxicated blackouts similar to those caused by too much alcohol, leaving users driving, committing crimes, hurting themselves and vulnerable to abuse, all with no knowledge of the events in question.

Furthermore, benzodiazepines have a high likelihood for addiction, even when taken at therapeutic doses. Trying to wean yourself off of them can be nearly impossible, and can lead to seizures or other serious health issues without medical intervention. Part of the tragedy of addiction is that addicts will often commit criminal activity to get their next "fix." Addiction can lead to driving under the influence, drug sales, theft, trafficking, assault and more. In the worst circumstances, it can even lead to vehicular homicide or murder.

If you are addicted to or abusing any drug - whether its legal or illicit - there is help available. Minnesota is home to some of the nation's most well-respected drug treatment and rehabilitation facilities. Addiction issues can also be a mitigating factor if you are facing criminal charges relating to your drug use. If you have been arrested and charged with a crime, the first thing you should do is contact an experienced criminal defense attorney who understands the interplay of drugs and the criminal justice system. A skilled attorney will know how to best protect your rights while helping you get the help you need to get your life back on track.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • What Should You Do If You Get Stopped By A Cop?

    You should not be hostile. Simply stop and allow the cop to do the cop’s job. If you are ticketed or arrested, immediately...

  • What Should You Say If You Get Stopped By A Cop?

    You have constitutional rights that you can invoke. This means that you do not have to say anything to cops, which is...

  • Can A Cop Search Your Person And/Or Your Stuff?

    A cop can search you and/or your car if a cop has probable cause to believe you pose a violent threat to the cop and/or that you...

  • What Is The Standard To Arrest You?

    A cop must have probable cause to arrest you for a crime. A cop can use the cop’s training and experience as well as his...

  • What Should You Do If You Get Served With A Search Warrant?

    The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution mandates that a cop present...

  • If Arrested, How Long Can You Be Held In Jail?

    No matter what crime you are charged with, you have 36 hours to have a bail hearing if you are in jail. This time requirement...

  • If Arrested, How Long Do You Have To Wait To Be Formally Charged?

    If you are in custody, the prosecution has 48 hours from the time of your demand to file...

  • Are All Of Your Privacy Rights Protected?

    No, the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution only protects your person, your home, your papers, and your...

  • What Are The Differences Between The United States And The Minnesota Constitutions?

  • After You Are Charged, What Does The Process Entail?

    Vigorously defending your rights demands a marathon, not a sprint, mentality. Every stone must be overturned.

Learn More About Your Rights Call For A Free Consultation 218-303-5497

Free Consultations

Client Reviews

More Reviews