Bussa Law

Main Menu

Minnesota man with long DWI history charged after serious wreck

The Dakota County attorney's office issued an arrest warrant for a 59-year-old man from Rosemount this spring for his role in a serious four-vehicle accident on U.S. Highway 52. His arrest took place in July, and he remains jailed at the Dakota County Jail with bail set at $250,000.

The man has a lengthy criminal history dating back to 1979. This includes 17 DWI convictions, theft, carrying a gun without a permit, disorderly conduct and domestic assault. He currently faces extensive charges that include first-degree DWI, gross-misdemeanor for driving with a canceled license and felony criminal vehicular operation that caused great bodily harm.

On the day of the accident, witnesses reported seeing the man driving a truck with a trailer erratically and at a high speed. When traffic halted on U.S 52 near 210th Street East, his truck slammed into the rear of a vehicle at about 50 mph. Injuries suffered by crash victims included spinal cord injuries, broken bones and internal bleeding. Police officers had the man perform a field sobriety test and then obtained a search warrant for a blood sample. He tested positive for methamphetamine. The Dakota County District Court has scheduled his next appearance for the fall.

A person can be charged with a DWI for driving after consuming alcohol or drugs. Before responding to criminal charges, the alleged offender could consult an attorney. A defense strategy may arise if police made mistakes while conducting a sobriety test or testing equipment was not functioning correctly. If evidence remains valid, then an attorney could strive to negotiate a plea deal for a reduced charge and request a sentence without jail time.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • What Should You Do If You Get Stopped By A Cop?

    You should not be hostile. Simply stop and allow the cop to do the cop’s job. If you are ticketed or arrested, immediately...

  • What Should You Say If You Get Stopped By A Cop?

    You have constitutional rights that you can invoke. This means that you do not have to say anything to cops, which is...

  • Can A Cop Search Your Person And/Or Your Stuff?

    A cop can search you and/or your car if a cop has probable cause to believe you pose a violent threat to the cop and/or that you...

  • What Is The Standard To Arrest You?

    A cop must have probable cause to arrest you for a crime. A cop can use the cop’s training and experience as well as his...

  • What Should You Do If You Get Served With A Search Warrant?

    The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution mandates that a cop present...

  • If Arrested, How Long Can You Be Held In Jail?

    No matter what crime you are charged with, you have 36 hours to have a bail hearing if you are in jail. This time requirement...

  • If Arrested, How Long Do You Have To Wait To Be Formally Charged?

    If you are in custody, the prosecution has 48 hours from the time of your demand to file...

  • Are All Of Your Privacy Rights Protected?

    No, the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution only protects your person, your home, your papers, and your...

  • What Are The Differences Between The United States And The Minnesota Constitutions?

  • After You Are Charged, What Does The Process Entail?

    Vigorously defending your rights demands a marathon, not a sprint, mentality. Every stone must be overturned.

Learn More About Your Rights Call For A Free Consultation 218-303-5497

Free Consultations

Client Reviews

More Reviews